The Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering in collaboration with the Quality Assurance Unit (QAU) and the competent services of the Foundation has harmonized the Quality Policy of the Erasmus Mundus Master in Biomedical Engineering (EMMBIOME) Quality Policy of the University of Patras.
Strategic goals of the University of Patras
The strategic goals of the Department are linked to those of the Foundation and include:
- Providing high-level education, with an emphasis on student-centered learning, the continuous upgrading of the EMMBIOME through its institutionalized annual review process, the updating and standardization of academic functions and a focus on Learning Outcomes
- Improving the connection with the labor market, scientific bodies and the graduates of EMMBIOME.
- Production of high-level research based on international developments through the promotion of research collaborations and utilization and disposal of the results for the benefit of the economy and society.
- Promote and recognize excellence and innovation, by encouraging, enhancing and rewarding the achievements of members of the university community in teaching and research.
- Reinforcement of extroversion by strengthening and promoting collaborations, networking and publicity activities and the Department’s international presence, through internationalization activities and comparative evaluations with Universities of a similar size, emphasizing the distinction of the Department at local, national and international level.
- Effectiveness of administrative procedures and improvement of infrastructure of the Department giving priority to Student Care.
Purpose and vision of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
Vision / Mission of the Department of Electrical-Mechanical and Computer Engineering is as set during its establishment. They concern the provision of high quality Theoretical and practical training in Electrical Engineering and Computer Technology in the broad scientific areas of electrical energy systems, telecommunications and information technology, electronics and computers and systems and automatic control as well as industrial informatics. The purpose of the Department is to provide its graduates with the necessary supplies that will ensure their thorough training for their scientific, research and professional careers. To train scientists and engineers capable of being active in research, study, development and construction of energy and information systems. Particular attention is paid to the understanding of the physical phenomena used in electrical installations and information systems, so that with this knowledge background they can more easily deal with and adapt to a variety of application fields. This is how they become competitive with their colleagues in the international arena. The Department emphasizes the laboratory training of students. This is demonstrated by the large number of quality laboratory exercises that accompany their theoretical training.
The Department’s quality policy is developed and specialized in its Master’s Degree Programs. More specifically, the Department is committed for the implementation of a quality policy that supports the academic character and orientation of the PMS, clearly promotes their purpose and object, implements their strategic objectives, and defines the indicated actions and the ways through which they can be achieved in the long term for the purpose of its continuous improvement.
Purpose of the Erasmus Mundus MSc in Biomedical Engineering
The quality policy of the Joint Inter-Institutional Master’s Programme Erasmus Mundus in Biomedical Engineering of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering in collaboration with the University of Kragujevac (Serbia) and the University of Medicine and Pharmacy Grigore T. Popa (Iasi, Romania) harmonizes with the quality policy of the University of Patras and aims to implement of the quality objectives concerning its operation. The quality policy focuses on the continuous improvement of the quality of educational, research and administrative work, in order to adapt to modern academic and research conditions.
The objectives of the postgraduate study program have been developed according to the specific needs identified at European level and are consistent with the general objectives of the Erasmus Mundus initiative. This postgraduate study program contributes to the achievement of enhanced learning mobility of teachers and students in the field of higher education through jointly developed modules according to the Bologna criteria. The content and structure of the program, on a more general level, also strongly promote values as expressed e.g. in Article 2 of the Treaty on European Union, including the values of respect for human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality, the rule of law and respect for human rights. In concrete terms, this translates into added value at various levels:
- Educates experts who gather valuable know-how, experience and skills in order to develop a specific branch of biomedical engineering in the respective regional/national challenges.
- Contributes to the improved interpretation, recognition and validation of skills and qualifications across national borders in terms of education and work experience – in particular through reference to EQF, ECTS, CEFR and Europass.
- Strengthens the labor market orientation and employability of graduates as a goal and therefore a critical element of curriculum development and quality assurance.
- Promotes the international credit mobility of individuals and contributes to the visibility, recognition and promotion of European Higher Education on a global scale.
- Increases collaboration between institutions from different Universities and Countries
- Increases collaboration between Higher Education and the industrial sector.
- Attracts students on a global scale to European higher education and contributes significantly to improving the recognition and validation of skills and qualifications across national borders in terms of education and work experience.
Achieving the above goals is a key concern of the cooperating agencies. In particular, for the implementation of this policy, the academic unit undertakes to implement quality procedures that will demonstrate:
- the appropriateness of the structure and organization of postgraduate study programs
- the pursuit of learning outcomes and qualifications in line with the European and National Higher Education Qualifications Framework level 7
- the promotion of the quality and efficiency of the teaching work in the DPMS
- the appropriateness of the qualifications of the teaching staff for the DPMS
- the drafting, implementation and review of specific annual quality objectives for the improvement of the PFMS
- the level of demand for graduates’ acquired qualifications in the labor market g) the quality of support services, such as administrative services, libraries and student welfare services for HEIs
- the efficient utilization of financial resources
- the implementation of the annual internal evaluation and review of the quality assurance system for the PFMS with the cooperation of OMEA and MODIP of the Foundation
The quality assurance of the Erasmus Mundus Master in Biomedical Engineering of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering includes the following actions of continuous monitoring and periodic evaluation:
- Establishment and operation of the Study Program Committee which is appointed by the Department Assembly and is responsible for the formulation of the Postgraduate Studies Program and the relevant proposals to the Department Assembly for possible changes and modifications in order for it to remain constantly harmonized with current.
- Establishment and operation of the Department’s Internal Assessment Team (IAG), for the smooth process of completing the evaluation questionnaires of postgraduate courses and professors by the students, for the preparation of the annual internal evaluation report and for the monitoring of the individual ranking indicators of the Department in national and international OMEA, according to no.34/07.04.2021 meeting, is responsible for sending the evaluations of the PMS courses for each academic. year with the aim of restructuring and/or improving the Program at the request of the respective Erasmus Mundus in Biomedical Engineering Director.
- Internal evaluation of the Erasmus Mundus Master, which is done on an annual basis as part of the Annual Internal Report by OMEA and its submission to the Foundation’s MODIP.
It is worth noting that each partner university will implement its own system quality assurance according to its own national rules.