|To introduce biomedical engineers to the branch of clinical engineering. Clinical Engineering departments in modern hospitals are playing a very important role concerning safe and cost effective use of medical equipment. Tasks covered by clinical engineers today include, maintenance, quality control, safety and risk management, contacts follow-up, user training for a comprehensive management of biomedical technology from the equipment procurement up to the replacement. The objective is students to learn what clinical engineering is dealing with, tools and methods applied for effective management of medical equipment’s and be aware of related activities world-wide such as vigilance and patient safety, quality assurance and accreditation.
Theoretical classes: Introduction to biomedical technology, Clinical Engineering Tasks, Management of Biomedical Equipment, Software systems for Medical Equipment Management, Regulations and Standards, Quality Assurance, Vigilance Systems, Patient Safety.
- Understand the role and scope of clinical engineering within the healthcare system and its importance in decision-making processes related to health policy and medical practice.
- Gain knowledge of the tools, methods, and techniques employed in the effective management of medical equipment.
- Familiarize with various software systems used for the management of medical equipment in healthcare settings.
- Comprehend the regulations and standards governing the field of clinical engineering and their impact on healthcare technology management.
- Acquire an understanding of quality assurance principles and practices applicable to biomedical equipment and systems.
- Recognize the significance of vigilance systems in monitoring medical device performance, identifying adverse events, and ensuring patient safety.
- Develop awareness of patient safety considerations in clinical engineering, including risk assessment, incident reporting, and implementation of safety protocols.
- Explore worldwide activities related to clinical engineering, such as quality assurance programs and accreditation initiatives.
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to evaluate and analyze healthcare technology assessment methods and their implications for health policy and medical practice.
- Communicate effectively about clinical engineering concepts, principles, and the importance of healthcare technology assessment to diverse stakeholders, including healthcare professionals and policymakers
- Healthcare Technology Management: Acquire knowledge and skills in effectively managing and maintaining biomedical equipment within healthcare settings.
- Regulatory Compliance: Understand the regulations and standards governing the field of clinical engineering and apply them to ensure compliance and patient safety.
- Quality Assurance: Implement quality assurance principles and practices to ensure the safe and effective use of medical equipment and systems.
- Risk Assessment and Management: Assess and mitigate risks associated with healthcare technology, considering factors such as patient safety and device performance.
- Problem-Solving: Apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to address challenges related to healthcare technology management and decision-making.
- Data Analysis and Management: Analyze and interpret data related to medical equipment performance, maintenance, and safety using appropriate software systems.
- Communication Skills: Effectively communicate technical concepts and information related to clinical engineering to diverse audiences, including healthcare professionals and policymakers.
- Ethical Considerations: Understand and adhere to ethical guidelines in healthcare technology assessment, patient safety, and data privacy.
- Interdisciplinary Collaboration: Collaborate effectively with healthcare professionals, engineers, and policymakers to make informed decisions regarding healthcare technology.
- Lifelong Learning: Cultivate a mindset of continuous learning to stay updated with advancements in clinical engineering, healthcare technology assessment, and related fields.